Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ebb and flow

It's been way too long since I have posted to this blog. For the most part that's a good sign that I've been flooded with work in the ebb and flow world of freelance writing.

It has been an interesting period in my evolution from daily newspaper report to scribe-for-hire. With Anna taking on bigger and bigger roles in her executive position, the flexibility of being a freelancer working from home has allowed me to provide her greater support behind the scenes, not only at home but also after school with our children. Behind every great woman is a good man. Nuclear family for the 21st Century.

Before I started freelancing, I created business cards with the slogan Writer Researcher Advocate Gastronome. It proved prescient; I have performed each of those roles at some point in the 28 months since the massive layoffs at my former newspaper created this new career opportunity. I have written for national and local publications and clients -- even for my former employer. Here's hoping each prong of that slogan continues to be prominent in my professional life.

Another part of my transition: I have set up a website, Ericvelasco.com. I did it in anticipation of attending the Food Media South conference this weekend, although I'm running a bit behind. Having my own website will allow me to more effectively post my work (I have a good bit up now at LinkedIn), be more visible to potential clients and hopefully be more active in posts.

Often when reporting a story, much good material gets left behind due to the brevity of some assigned stories (mine at Birmingham Magazine generally are limited to 700 words for "main" stories and 300 words for the others). This next blog item, and hopefully many in the future, is a continuation of those stories, a bonus for anyone interested.

Chef George McMillan III graciously allowed me to watch him break down a half-hog recently at his Cahaba Heights restaurant, FoodBar. In an upcoming edition of Birmingham Magazine, I will discuss how the different parts of that hog show up on the menu, linking cuts to the plate. But the following blog post will examine McMillan's butchering process. I found it fascinating.

Starting in March, check me out at Ericvelasco.com. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment